Thursday, January 21, 2021

Self-Introduction email

Dear Professor Blackstone,

I am Chai Ming Ze, a first-year civil engineering student from the Singapore Institute of Technology. I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to you as a student in your effective communication class.

Having graduated from Help College in Malaysia, I received my A-level certification from Pearson Edexcel. This has provided me the chance to study overseas as the certification is globally recognized. My interest in engineering was fostered because I was always impressed by those who are able to provide a comfortable environment for wildlife. I enjoy watching a Youtube channel named “Dean Schneider”, which introduces us to wildlife’s behaviors. In his videos, the wildlife sanctuary depicted is beautiful and natural. The creation and maintenance of such infrastructures have always been under the work of civil engineers. An example that infatuated my interest was the Singapore Zoo, it provided a protected area for human viewing while retaining the animals’ natural habitat. This has deeply inspired me to pursue civil engineering as a profession.

Since we are living in a multiracial country, being able to communicate in multiple languages and dialects will be my strength in communication skills. I believe that having courage is not the only thing that is required when communicating. However, understanding the meaning of the messages is crucial too. I think my strength can help me when communicating with multiracial customers or team members.

Despite my strength in languages and dialects, I have fear when it comes to public speaking, especially in English. As English is not my first language, I tend to translate Mandarin into English before conveying it out. On top of that, I am weak in my grammar and vocabulary. Hence, sometimes I find it difficult to understand what others are trying to convey to me.

One of my goals in the effective communication module is to increase my English vocabulary and grammar. Next, I hope that I will be able to speak fluently and confidently. I will constantly practice and remind myself of how people construct sentences through movies and videos. I believe that I can reach my goal with the help of both your guidance and my hardworking.

I look forward to having more effective communication in class.

Thank you and best regards,

Chai Ming Ze

CVE1281 -Group 5

(Revised on 08/04/2021)

Commented on: Syakirah, Isqandar, Leah

13 comments:

  1. Thanks a million, Ming Ze! I look forward to reading this letter and learning more about you, and to seeing comments from your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read your letter, I think it is complete and reflects concreteness. The paragraph where you mentioned about your inspiration to choose civil engineering is well illustrated. I feel that the paragraphs where you mentioned about your strength and weakness has some issues in regards to the correctness of the sentence structure. The paragraphs would be better if you could address them accordingly. The goal you set for yourself in this module is specific however, I feel that more can be elaborated on how you would like to achieve your goal. Overall, great effort but there are grammar issues here and there. Hopefully, you are able to address them. Great effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherman,

      Thank you so much for taking the time to read my letter. I really appreciate you pointing out my mistakes. I will work harder to improve my grammar.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ming Ze,

    This is an interesting letter to read. It is complete and the evidence given for your interest in civil engineering is concrete. The sentences in your letter are concise and straight to the point. There are evident grammar issues in your letter but I am sure that your determination in achieving your goals will help in this issue. Overall, great effort. Keep up with the good work!

    Sincerely,
    Aisyah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aisyah,

      Thanks for reading my letter and giving the advices. I will work harder to improve my grammar.

      Delete
  4. I love how well-written and personal your letter is! Keep it up Mize

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CY,

      Thanks for the positive feedback. I will keep it up! I hope you are able to achieve what you aim at the end of the module as well.

      Delete
  5. Hi Ming Ze, after reading your letter, I feel that it is very detailed and interesting. I like the way you keep things personal! overall, great effort ! I enjoyed reading your letter !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerrick,

      I am glad that you enjoyed reading the letter. I am grateful for your valuable feedback and the time you took to read my letter. It has encouraged me to continue improving my English.

      Delete
  6. Dear Ming Zhe,

    Thank you for this well developed letter of intro. You cover the various assignment requirements in fine concrete detail. The sharing about your interest in nature and the connection to engineering is especially telling, highlighting your values. However, I do have a question. You state as follows:

    ...the environment that has been provided to the wildlife is
    beautiful and natural. The creation of such infrastructures has
    always been under the work of civil engineers.

    It seems to me that most enviornments where wildlife are living in their natural habitat -- places like the Arctic Natonal Wildlife Refuge in Alaska, USA, or the Serengeti (Plains) National Park in Tanzania, or even Taman Negara in Malaysia, are untouched by humans. So what environments specifically are you referring to?

    I also like the detail in the section about perceived strength and weakness in communication, which you document richly; and you can rest assured knowing you will be having more speaking opportunities as the term progresses.

    Your language fluency in this letter is quite good, but there is one verb issue: My interest in engineering fostered... > (verb form) My interest in engineering was fostered....

    Overall though, this is a very fine effort. I look forward to reading more of your writing and working with you throughout the term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear professor Blackstone,

    Thanks for taking the time to read my self-introduction letter. You have provided me constructive feedback. With the advice, I can construct a letter better. I will review the letter again and edit it. In the nutshell, please let me correct my name spelling with "Ze".

    Thank you.

    Best regards,
    Ming Ze

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ming Ze,

    Your introduction is clear and concise. What I like about this is your clarity when you go into detail of your strengths and weaknesses are in communication. Not many people can identify their weaknesses and strengths in that manner and that is good!

    However, I feel that more could have been said on how you wanted to achieve your goal. You could have stated milestones or things you could do to help achieve your goal. I feel that would have made your introduction better! All in all, it was a very good attempt. Good job.

    Regards,
    Isqandar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Isqandar,

    Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction letter. I appreciate for your kind words too. I hope you can understand me more through this letter.

    Regards,
    Ming Ze

    ReplyDelete